Tuesday 21 August 2012

What A Start!

After years of poor starts, getting beat by the likes of QPR, Blackburn, Arsenal and Portsmouth, we've finally won on the first day of the season for the first time in 4 years! And what a way to do it! Beating a team that haven't lost an opening day fixture since 2004.

Personally, as much as I was looking forward to the game since the fixtures were announced, I was nervous. Pre Season didn't really give me much confidence in the team. I was under the impression that they would start in the usual way. But, just minutes into the game, I knew I was wrong. The Blues were playing just like they ended last season. The passing was brilliant. The runs off the ball were brilliant. I couldn't fault anything they did. And, with the noise that only Goodison produces on a night game behind them, I could only see us getting 3 points.

But, despite some brilliant chances and moves from Everton, we went into half time with no goals. De Gea was having a blinder. Keeping out efforts from Pienaar, Osman, Baines and Jelavic. Just like he did at Goodison last year.

The second half started the same. Everton dominating, United getting the odd chance but nothing to worry Howard. And then the best chance of the game so far when the ball dropped kindly to Leon Osman inside the box but he seen his volley smash off the underside of the bar. But, it weren't long before the deadlock was broke. A corner from Darron Gibson met the head of Maroune Fellaini who slotted the ball past past De Gea. Goodison went mental!

We could of had 3 or 4.

Overall, I couldn't of been more happy with our performance. They were fantastic.

My man of the match today was obviously Maroune Fellaini. He is going to be a special player. But, I was impressed with everyone. No-one let me down.


No comments:

Post a Comment